Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Few Hours Of Friendship

On the spur of the moment, I spent a few hours with a friend that I have known since high school. We've reconnected on FaceBook, the source of all things from the past.....prior to that I had seen him a few years ago at his Dad's wake. Needless to say, neither of us were not very chatty that day. 
Today we calculated that the last time we really hung out together was 27 years ago! I can't wrap my mind around the fact that I know someone for that long of a time. 
You know how sometimes you hang with a person and there are awkward silences, or stilted conversation? There was none of that today. After we talked for a few moments, it was like hanging out back in the day..comfortable, interesting, fun. We both learned new things about each other, and talked about our past also. Even though it was only for a couple hours, it was time well spent. I am grateful for friends in my life, and flattered that I am a person that these people want to spend time with. 
Even though life gets in the way of making many plans, it is nice to enjoy friendship when the planets align. 
As we said our goodbyes, we promised not to wait another 27 years to meet up again. I'm sure that will be a promise that is easy to keep.

No comments: