Thursday, October 16, 2008

A Tale Of Woe, otherwise known as Hoisted On My Own Petard

I went back down to Atlantic City earlier this week, on Monday night, to attend a veterinary conference that I go to every year. I stayed at a different hotel, one right across the street from the Convention Hall. 
I was planning to stay there until Thursday evening, and had 3 days of lectures all planned out. 
Since I was staying for 3 days, I made sure I packed everything in my house that wasn't nailed down or in the washing machine. In ONE BAG. 
As I pulled up to the hotel I realized that $17.00 for valet parking was beyond my budget, so I followed the signs for "self park"....past the hotel, underneath the convention center, about a 1/4 mile away. After I had taken my ticket and found a spot, I came to the understanding that I would have to bring my own luggage with me to check in. This is where all the problems started. I have a bad back (bad is an understatement. I have herniated discs, gone thru epidurals and want to get surgery.) and really shouldn't be carrying a bag that weighs as much as me through a parking lot. I shouldn't even be lifting it out of my car. 
I was not using my brain at the time, however, so I carried it. (My bag, not my brain.) When I arrived at the front desk, out of breath and cursing my overpacking ability, I told them I would need a bellboy to take it upstairs for me. 
Things were fine so far. I checked in, unpacked, walked to McDonald's for a nutritious dinner, and went to sleep.
The next morning when I woke up, I showered and went to the first lecture. Somewhere between leaving my room and sitting down in the chair, my back went out. I experienced such major pain in my back, up & down my leg, and in my foot that I saw stars. There was no way I could sit through a lecture. 
Did I mention before that I packed everything except the kitchen sink? Well, I did. Except along with the sink that I left home, my PAIN PILLS were home too. I had to have my poor husband drive down to A.C. with the bottle. 
Unfortunately the damage was done..nothing would help me. I woke up Wednesday morning and checked out. This time I was smart. I had them wheel me downstairs in the hotel wheelchair and asked the bell captain to please get my car for me. I was unable to walk even a few steps, that's how much pain I was in. 
They were all very nice at the hotel, that's for sure. The bell captain even brought me a juice to drink as I waited for my car.
The most painful part of all this, besides my newly re-inflamed discs...is that I packed all these clothes to wear and I never got to wear them! I effectively ruined my own vacation, wasted my own money, and caused my pain to flare up again. 
This makes me want to never pack a bag for a trip again. 
Now I'm popping Percocets like M&M's, waiting until Monday and my next epidural. 
I hope I can deal with the pain until then.

2 comments:

Tara said...

I'm sorry your trip went the way it did.
And here i was just asking myself when you were coming home.. rest up sweetie.. I'll pray Monday comes quick and as painless as possible for you.
Hugs
T

Anonymous said...

Ouch. Sorry to hear about this. Feel better soon.