Wednesday, June 2, 2010

An Example of Compassion

This little anecdote will explain why the vet I work with is a wonderful role model. The other day we were in central treatment working on a dog. There was an anesthesia box on the other table with a critter in it. Upon closer inspection we found that it was a possum with bite wounds. He was in the process of being anesthetized/euthanized. He was still awake, however, and was able to look around at all the activity in our hospital. My vet shook her head and said to me, "They are such shy creatures, he must be so scared watching all this stuff going on around him!" She took a minute to find a towel to drape over the box to block the possum's view, so that in the last moments of his conscious, pain filled existence, he would not have to be scared too.
Possums are nocturnal creatures that favor dark, secure areas. My vet understood this and had empathy for this wild creature, enough so that she took time out of her busy day to make his world feel safe.
That touched me, but did not surprise me. She continues to show me examples of kindness towards animals and depth of caring that I can only hope to approximate in my lifetime.

Thanks, Marsha.