Friday, October 16, 2009

Confidence

It takes a lot of confidence to be a vet tech. You have to assure yourself you will hit the vein every time you need blood, be able to restrain that 100 lb Rottweiler so your vet stays safe, and convey a positive attitude to a stressed out client that their pet is in good hands.
Vet techs have to repeat this confidence hour after hour, patient after patient. We cannot be scared of claws and teeth, or worry about dehydrated pets' invisible veins, or doubt our calculations when drawing up medication. It is definitely not a job for a shrinking violet!
My vet likens my job to that of a cruise director...keeping clients happy while they are waiting (and waiting) for their appointment, juggling patients (ok, I'll draw that blood on this patient while you clip the nails for the cat in the other room) while remembering to return phone calls and keep the paperwork moving smoothly along.
I always thought of myself as pretty confident, but since I've become a tech I've stepped it up a notch. I have confidence in my ability to help my vet do the best job that we can do, day after day. I know I may not hit the vein every time, but nobody does that. I keep on going, knowing I'm an integral part of that well oiled machine that is my vet hospital.
And at the end of the day I'm confident that I helped pets and their owners feel better.
I love what I do.

No comments: